Bantam Jets down in the finals

March 16, 2016

The Bierworth Readi-Mix Bantam Jets hosted the Mitchell Meteors this weekend for games one and two of their all Ontario finals.

Saturday, the Jets kicked things off after a special presentation to their sponsors, who have been sponsoring hockey for 45 years. The first period was fast and furious, with both teams putting each other to the test, but it was Mitchell who came out on top with a 2-0 lead, scoring two quick goals in the last two minutes of the first. Four minutes into the second, Mitchell added another. A few minutes later, the Jets were on the power play and they took full advantage with Brett Cooney one timing one in off a nice feed from Jared McCaskie. The Jets were down 3-1 after two. Mitchell came out firing in the third, scoring less than thirty seconds in. The Jets struggled to make things happen and late in the period Mitchell scored again. The Jets never gave up, despite their four goal deficit, and with just 0.2 seconds left, Riley Krieger put one in the back of the net, assisted by Easton Morrison. Final score was 5-2 Mitchell.

Sunday, it was game two. The Jets came out strong and just over four minutes in Brett Cooney opened up the scoring with an unassisted goal. Less than a minute later, Riley Hunt scored a power play goal, assisted by Brodie Cooney. With a minute and fourteen seconds left in the first, Mitchell scored and it was 2-1 Jets heading into the second. Mitchell tied it up just minutes in. With 2:08 left in the second, the Jets found themselves shorthanded with two in the box for two minutes, they fought hard to kill off the two man advantage. Halfway through the penalty kill, a penalty drawn by Mitchell, made it four on three for the Meteors, but the Jets were unable hold them off, and Mitchell scored with fifty one seconds left in the period, to take a 3-2 lead. Mitchell made it 4-2 just over five minutes into the third. The Jets rallied back and 53 seconds later, Carter Thrower knocked the puck up to Hunt, who got a breakaway and he blasted the puck into the net. Seconds later, an infraction by Mitchell proved costly for them, as Hunt wrapped up his hat trick with a power play goal to tie the game, assisted by Jack Kauffeldt and Brett Cooney. There was lots of action in the rest of the third, but it remained 4-4, so it was off to overtime. Overtime was tense, with end to end hockey, but four minutes in, Mitchell scored to win the game 5-4.

The Jets are now down two games to none in a best out of five series. They are on the road next weekend with game three Saturday, March 19 at 7:45 and game four Sunday, March 20 at 2:40. Good luck Jets!

Submitted by Stacy McCaskie



Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out Loud Screen Reader Support